Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Feminist Issues

So, I mentioned before that I don't consider myself a feminist.  I believe that is because I have grown up thinking it is kind of a dirty word, a radical woman that burns her bras.  When I was little I wanted the husband, the kids and the white picket fence when I grew up.  Today, I am happily married with two beautiful children and my views are fairly conservative.  I like to cook dinner every night, I like to pack lunch for my husband every day and I like the door to be held open for me.  A feminist doesn't do these things, right?


 I do believe in equal rights and that women should not be subjected to sexualized stereotypes in film, video and media in general.  Recently, I watched an enlightening and informational set of videos about female stereotypes in film.  I was really surprised by the Bechdel Test which I had not heard of before. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH8JuizIXw8&list=SPF509B2D59CC7037F&index=3&feature=plpp_video

 Check out the videos of top ten stereotypes of women in films here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBBDFEC9F5893C4AF&feature=plcp



The blogger, Anita Sarkeesian, is in the process of making a set of videos exploring the over used stereotypes of women in video games.  After announcing her plans to create this series and asking for fundraising help, she was bombarded by (presumably) the male video gamers of the world.  They threatened her, harassed her, hacked into her Wikipedia page, and did all kinds of terrible, hateful things.  I was really shocked by this antisocial behavior and it made me very curious about the whole issue.  Is this social learning or cultivation theory?  There is no doubt that the media and the video game developer's world is male dominated with over 80% of the creative and developmental career roles being filled by males:
http://gamesindustryskills.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/igda_developerdemographics_oct05.pdf



This male dominated field has given us such video game heroines as: Lara Croft, Bayonetta, insert-name-of-any-female-character-from-a-fighting-franchise-here.  I have played video games for years not giving too much thought to the fact that the women must be busty, barely clothed, in need of rescuing, brainless, or fill some sort of male fantasy role.  I question if the bashing the video game boys tried to pull on Anita is social learning or cultivation because..I believe our world view is truly stereotypical.  Women are still behind men in earnings and social status.  We have made great strides, but we are still considered to fulfill only certain roles.  And we teach our children when they are kids, what roles men and women should fill.  I love Legos - but this video is hilarious and really, right on the money!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrmRxGLn0Bk&feature=BFa&list=SPF509B2D59CC7037F



Anita received her funding and actually a lot more publicity because of all the harassment although it was unfortunate.  I would hate to think any of these men sitting at their laptops would actually act on any of the terrible threats they posted to her, but it makes you wonder about the social learning theory.  I hope that game developers take notice.  I hope that women will become more equitably employed in media and the video game industry one day.  I believe we can create video games that are well thought out, fun to play, with deep, involved female characters that are proportionately endowed and not so scandalously dressed.  I leave you with a few of my favorite video game heroines (I am not saying these games are not sexist, as some of them most certainly are!):

1. Aerith from Final Fantasy VII
2. Luna from Lunar Silver Star Story
3. Zelda/Sheik from Legend of Zelda
4. Aya Brea from Parasite Eve 1
5. Jill Valentine from Resident Evil 1
6. Yuna from Final Fantasy X
7. Princess Peach from Super Princess Peach and Super Mario Brothers 2
8. Alice in Wonderland from some Laserdisc game I can't find the title of..
9. BlackRose in dot hack
10. Nina from Breath of Fire III



 



No comments:

Post a Comment