Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Parent's Guide to Minecraft


Do you have a kid aged 5-12? Do you have a computer in your house with Internet access? If you answered yes to both questions then you probably already know what Minecraft is, or have at least heard the name. Minecraft was created by Markus Persson aka Notch and contribution in 2011 from Jens Bergenstern aka Jeb. It is a pixelated 8 bit block world of digging, building, defending, Creepers, Zombies, Endermen, Cows, Pigs, Villagers,  and..well..ask your kids..it is all kinds of stuff. According to Minecraft’s official website it has been purchased by over 14 million users to date.
Image Source: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/minecraft-wii-u/

How is it played? Minecraft is available on PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation3, Ipad and Android. It can be played single player (by yourself) or multiplayer online. In my household, multiplayer is the favored option, as is with most of my ten year old’s peers at school. Kids join servers that are hosted remotely and filled with anywhere from two to hundreds of other players all at the same time.
Image Source: http://www.videogameaddiction.co.uk/gaming-addiction/gaming.html

Now, I am not an expert and I know there are loads of parents out there who actually play Minecraft with their kids and know more than I do about the game. I played the game once briefly but I got motion sickness from the screen and the controls. I like PC games a lot, but Minecraft is not quite my cup of tea. The reason some parents play is because the game does appeal to LOTS of people of many different ages – not just kids. So, when your kids are logging onto a server and playing with other characters they are basically playing video games with strangers that could be anywhere from 5 to 35 years old.
Image Source: http://investvine.com/heavy-regulations-for-online-gamers-in-vietnam/

Internet safety is a big responsibility for a parent and one that should not be ignored or taken lightly. Do you know who your kids are talking to on the Internet? Do you know what your kids are doing on the Internet? If you saw your kid playing a low resolution game with a block man shooting arrows at a green block monster you probably wouldn’t think there could be any harm there. I thought mostly the same way until I ‘sat in’ on some of my kids game play sessions and watched the chat screens. While dozens of people were running around the screen, all doing their own task, messages flew up on the screen at an alarming rate in the chat pod. Invitations to play sex games and to come to a special world where people had modified the game to undress the characters, rampant obscene and vulgar language pervaded the chat. I was shocked as I did not know this existed in this innocent game I thought was about discovery, cooperation and building blocks.
Image Source: http://www.nfschools.net/domain/973

 I emailed my son’s teacher as I knew that their school friends were all on the same server where I observed the behavior. I went on a quest to find a safe environment for my kids to play this obsessive little game and the Internet was of great help. I found several servers that required applications to become members of a ‘whitelist’ which means that only approved users can join the servers and play together. No more random strangers. In addition to only approved users allowed to play, the play is heavily monitored for inappropriate game play including obscene or vulgar language, bullying and other no-no’s in the massively multiplayer online gaming world of Minecraft.

I promptly signed my children up and forbade them from ever joining a server that I did not approve of. They were required to read rules for each new server they joined and they learned a couple hard lessons of their own while playing and not following rules exactly. Their friends were all allowed to play on any server they wanted and did not want to go through the application process. I have informed all the parents I know of what my experience was and what I did about it. Some parents agree with me, other parents think their kids need to be exposed to as much of the world now as possible because ‘they will see it eventually’.

I only scratched the surface of Minecraft in this post but I did want to share with other parents to be aware of what your kids are doing online. It is not too hard to join the whitelisted servers but it may just protect your children more than you will ever know. Kids will become adults soon enough. It is my ideals as a parent that I want shaping my kids and it is my desire to protect them from pedophiles, bullies, delinquents and ill-mannered computer users while they are playing online. At the bottom of my post I have several source sites for the statistics on Minecraft from above, some helpful links and a list of the servers that I have approved in our household.

Insightful web content about Kids and Minecraft:

Image Source: http://www.intercraften.org/


Family Servers I have approved for Minecraft play in our house:


Sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment